Don’t like eating your greens? Why not join the growing number of people drinking them instead! Not just a trend among celebs anymore, slurping a green smoothie is a quick and easy way to introduce more vegetables into your diet and provide your body with the vitamins and minerals it needs.
I asked my good friend, yoga-loving, zen-living Natasha Dillon to collaborate with me on this post and put her to work creating a glowing green smoothie, which is not only delicious tasting, but jam-packed full of nutritional goodness and unique health benefits, and she didn’t disappoint!
Here’s what you’ll need:
INGREDIENTS (SERVES TWO)
1 frozen banana
1 C kale
1 C spinach
Handful of blueberries
600 ml almond milk
1 TBSP cinnamon
1 TBSP bee pollen
1 TBSP raw cacao nibs
1 TBSP super greens
A small piece of fresh ginger
A small piece of fresh turmeric
Mango can be substituted in place of blueberries
Place all ingredients in a blender in the order listed and blend on high for at least 2 minutes or until smooth.
CARING FOR YOUR BODY FROM THE INSIDE OUT
By adding a green smoothie to your diet each day you’re providing your body with a smorgasbord of nature’s superfoods, vitamins, minerals and natural fats. Here’s just some of the benefits you can expect from Natasha’s glowing green smoothie:
- Bananas – Good source of potassium and natural fibre, which aids digestion and stimulates the growth of good bacteria in the bowel.
- Spinach + Kale – Both contain chlorophyll, which helps fight bad breath and other bodily odours, high in calcium, which translates to healthier skin, hair and bones, good source of fibre, potassium and vitamin C, as well as iron and other minerals.
- Avocado – High in monounsaturated fats, the healthy kind! These help reduce bad cholesterol levels when consumed in moderation.
- Cucumber – Good source of B vitamins and given their high water content (95%) they’re a perfect way to re-hydrate your body.
- Blueberries – Rich source of antioxidants, which help our cells fight the effects of harmful free radicals, good source of vitamin C.
- Bee pollen – Often referred to as Nature’s superfood, perfect for boosting energy levels, high source of vegetable protein, full of B vitamins, helps aid digestion.
- Cacao nibs – high in magnesium which helps to relax muscles and alleviate constipation.
- Ginger + Turmeric – Natural anti-inflammatory properties.
GETTING THE MOST OUT OF YOUR GREEN POWDER
They’re the superfood powders made out of vegetables which give your body a healthy mix of the vital ingredients it needs every day, and are a perfect way to supplement a healthy diet. There’s a wide variety of powders available on the market and the best thing you can do for your body to see the optimal health benefits, is to be consistent and take the recommend dosage daily.
ABOUT NATASHA DILLON
A long-time love and practice of yoga saw Natasha follow her passion to become a yoga teacher in 2014. Natasha’s qualifications are vast and include completing her 200 hr Hatha Yoga Teacher Training at Vikasa Yoga in Koh Samui, Thailand, a course in the Art of Alignment at BodyMindLife Yoga + Pilates in Sydney, and a spiritual six week journey to India where she furthered her studies in yoga and meditation. Natasha’s experience includes assisting at BodyMindLife Yoga + Pilates Studio, teaching yoga at a triathlon training camp in Spain and is currently residing in Phuket, Thailand where she’s an established yoga teacher at the prestigious sports complex, Thanyapura. She specialises in Hatha yoga and is a Reiki master. Her interests include yoga, meditation, running, horse riding, going to the beach, tapping/EFT, detoxing and ways to heal the body.
Follow Natasha’s journey on Instagram