I love the idea of eating ‘clean’ and in theory it seems easy, but if you’re like me and occasionally time poor, or love to eat tasty food but don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen preparing it then these clean treats are for you!
Requiring only a few easily sourced ingredients, these clean treats are not only great substitutes for sugar-filled snacks, but they’re also made with ingredients that are fuel for your bodies.
CHOC CHIP ‘CHOCOLATE’ ICE CREAM
Not your average ice cream, this choc chip version has all the decadent creaminess ice cream should and the full flavour of chocolate, but without the dairy and sugar making it a delicious guilt-free dessert any sweet tooth will enjoy. It’s simple to prepare and tastes delicious. Sourced from one of my favourite healthy eating websites Secret Squirrel Food.
1/2 C medjool dates (pitted)
1 ripe avocado
1 ripe banana
1/2 C coconut milk (full cream)
3 TBSP raw cacao powder
3 TBSP raw cacao nibs
1. Place dates into a food processor and process until they become a smooth sticky date paste.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients into the food processor except for the cacao nibs and process until smooth and creamy.
3. Mix in cacao nibs.
4. Place into a container and freeze overnight, or if you like you ice cream to be a little softer, freeze for just a few hours.
5. When ready, let it defrost for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Sweetened only with dates, these natural bite size treats are full of cacao goodness and incredibly easy to make.
1 1/2 C medjool dates (pitted)
1/4 C sunflower seeds
2 TBSP pumpkin seeds
2 TBSP chia seeds
1 TBSP coconut oil
2 TBSP cacao powder
1 TBSP pure vanilla extract
Extra desiccated coconut, cacao powder or cacao nibs for rolling
1. Soak dates in boiling water for 10 minutes and drain well.
2. Place dates, seeds, coconut oil, cacao powder and vanilla in a food processor and blend well, if the mixture seems too dry add a few drops of water.
3. Once the mixture is bound together, take a large spoonful of the mixture and roll into balls.
4. Roll the balls in either coconut, cacao powder or cacao nibs and keep refrigerated.
RAW VEGAN COOKIES & CREAM
I stumbled across this recipe on Instagram created by Lina Saber, a New York based creator of aesthetically pleasing food which also tastes delicious. If you’re gluten free like me and always love finding an alternative way to eat your old favourites, then this cookies & cream recipe is for you.
Blend the following ingredients in a food processor, flatten out as thin as you like and set in the freezer to firm up.
1 C medjool dates (pitted)
1 C raw almonds
1/4 C cacao powder
Blend the following ingredients in a food processor or high-speed blender until pureed/smooth.
1/2 C cashews soaked in water for 4 hours
1/4 C coconut oil
1/2 C coconut yoghurt, or coconut cream, or greek yoghurt (if you cannot source the other varieties)
1/4 C maple syrup
A handful of cacao nibs
1. Break up the crust to make chunks of ‘cookie’ and place in a container.
2. Pour the filling over the crust and use a spoon to sprinkle the cacao nibs over the filling.
3. Set in the freezer to firm up for about 4+ hours.
4. Optional: Set it out for 5 minutes to soften before serving.